[ RadSafe ] Neutron Source Safety

DOBBS, LYNN DOBBSL at mailbox.sc.edu
Fri Mar 22 12:18:31 CDT 2013

A researcher at our University is currently wanting to purchase either a Cf-252 (27 uci/ 50 ngm) or an AmBe source (100 mCi) for a neutron flux of ~ 1E5.   I am in the process of developing safety procedures but honestly, I don't have a lot of expertise in neutrons.   My concerns are exposure (neutron and gamma dose), general radiation protection requirements, detection instrumentation, and the possibility of neutron activation.  Can anyone provide some SOPs they are currently using and a training course available for neutron source safety?
Thanks in advance,

Lynn B Dobbs
Radiation Safety Officer
University of South Carolina