[ RadSafe ] Red Sand

Victor Anderson victor.anderson at frontier.com
Sun Mar 24 18:42:26 CDT 2013

Good Afternoon All,

Back in my days working in the old Rad Health Branch here in CA, radioactive
cleaning or blasting sand was a continual problem especially as more and
more radiation detectors came on line.  The clearest regulatory "hook" we
could find was if the material in question met the definition for source
material in the regulations.  Even then there were questions about
distribution (as in selling) and disposal that kept us and owners of said
sands in fits.  Don't know that we ever came up with a clear answer.  My
opinion is that these items should simply be exempt.  Any and all opinions
are welcome.

Victor