[ RadSafe ] Fission, Fusion, Mars, Spacecraft...

Tue Mar 26 11:23:56 CDT 2013

Hi, Joe.

Given that I will be attending a science fiction convention this
weekend, and one of the panels I am on is about spaceship combat, I've
given a fair amount of thought to things like this.

With current, or near term technology, getting mass into orbit is the
expensive part.  This is the first big problem with using some type of
nuclear reactor for propulsion in space: there is a minimum size you can
make a reactor, and it is fairly big.  When you include the reactor, its
auxiliary systems, and the reaction mass, you need a very large system
before it has higher energy density than a chemical rocket system.  To
use a down-to-earth example, it is clearly a good idea to make aircraft
carriers nuclear powered, it is a reasonable idea to make cruisers
nuclear powered, it makes no sense at all to make patrol boats nuclear
powered.

When thinking about space travel, it is important to not confuse
acceleration with velocity.  The propulsion plant determines what
acceleration your ship is capable of, but velocity is only limited by
time and reaction mass/fuel.  (yes, I can hear you shout, "But what
about relativity!"  By the time you can sustain accelerations that get
you to relativistic velocities in fairly short lengths of time, you are
not working with anything we could build with our current understanding
of physics).  I don't foresee us building a ship where acceleration will
be a challenge for people (once it gets out of the gravity well, of
course).

I love nuclear power in space, but we are at least two scientific
breakthroughs away from needing it for manned ships.