[ RadSafe ] A judges' criticism of John W Gofman ? Arthur R Tamplin?

KARAM, PHILIP ANDREW.KARAM at nypd.org
Thu May 9 09:14:44 CDT 2013

I believe you are being a bit hasty and dramatic in your response to this thread. It is possible to differentiate between the man and the work. And we can impugn a person’s science without casting aspersions against the person.

Gofman appears to have been a man of integrity, standing up for what he believed in. But if what he believed in was scientifically wrong then his personal and scientific integrity, while admirable, does not do much to inform either society or science. The cold fusion guys, for example, seemed to have scientific and personal integrity, but their experiments have come to naught. You can say the same thing about many experiments that once seemed promising or revolutionary. Ken Mossman, during his HPS President-Elect tour, gave a talk on Pathological Science, which was an eye-opener and that demonstrated how easy it is for a person of personal and scientific integrity to still go astray in their work – in my opinion every scientist should have to at least read up on the topic of pathological science. There is a blog posting on this topic that might be worth reading (http://blogs.fas.org/sciencewonk/tag/pathological-science/) and that includes links to a number of web pages related to this topic.

I don’t doubt that Gofman was following what he felt in his heart to be the correct course of action and that he firmly believed he was correct – there was too much passion in his writings for him to have been doing everything simply for the sake of notoriety. But I feel that the weight of scientific evidence comes down firmly against his conclusions.

Finally, I would also suggest that you are mistaken in your assertion that there is not much science to the field of radiation safety. On the contrary, there is a huge body of scientific research that has stood the test of time. There are some areas – the effects of very low doses of radiation is one – in which the results are ambiguous. But there is very little question about the fundamental physics behind radiation dose, radioactive decay, radiation detection, radiation interactions, and so forth.

With best regards,

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, Ph.D., CHP