[ RadSafe ] Risk Communication

Steve Schulin steve.schulin at nuclear.com
Fri May 10 17:42:43 CDT 2013

Hi Jaro, and all. One reason I don't support use of PARS is because such devices can actually increase the likelihood of a hydrogen explosion in a beyond design basis accident. See "passive autocatalytic recombiners could act as hydrogen igniters in beyond design basis accident" at http://news.nuclear.com/blog7.php/indian-point-2-passive-autocatalytic

I'm also not so keen to put filters on the hardened vents. The safety function of the vents is so important that it seems unwise to risk clogging up the vent path. I'm no engineer, but as a radiation protection technician, and as a homeowner, it it has been my experience that filters clog.This concern about filter-clogging was raised in at least one of the post-Fukushima ACRS meetings (NRC's Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards) where the filtered vent issue was discussed, but I haven't noticed any studies or reports on the subject.

As to contributors to public outrage, I'd rank several items as of much greater significance than the explosions. The admission by TEPCO that they purposefully did not improve tsunami protection to guard against increased max credible tsunami height is one example. That the reasoning included not wanting to alarm the public was an especially egregious aspect of this, and I see this raised in many more recent newspaper pieces than the explosions.

Very truly yours,

NUCLEAR.COM

Steve Schulin, Founding Editor
http://www.nuclear.com