[ RadSafe ] Gofman on TMI and Chernobyl deaths

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri May 10 22:22:11 CDT 2013

May 10

         Gofman claimed a human exposure of
100,000 man-rems from the Three Mile Island
accident.  He then claimed one death per 300
man-rems.  Dividing 100,000 by 300 gives 333
deaths from Three Mile Island --- at least in Gofman's world.

         He made this claim in the Foreword to
the 1979 printing of his book "Poisoned
Power."  The Foreword will be found at this link:

http://www.ratical.org/radiation/CNR/PP/Foreward1979.txt

         To find his specific claim about the
number of deaths, scroll down the page about
two-thirds of the way to the paragraph beginning
"Now we are ready to solve our equation."

         For Gofman's claims of deaths resulting
from the Chernobyl accident, see a 1994 interview
with Gofman in "Synapse," the student newspaper
published by the University of California in San
Francisco.  In the interview, Gofman said:

"After Chernobyl, I estimated that there were
going to be 475,000 fatal cancers throughout
Europe ­ with another 475,000 cancers that are
not fatal. That estimate was based on the dose
released on the various countries of fallout from Cesium-137."

         The link is:

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/Radiation-Threshold-Gofman20jun94.htm

         The quote is near the beginning of the interview.

Steven Dapra

[edit]