[ RadSafe ] What's Killing The Nuclear Industry?

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Mon May 13 13:03:59 CDT 2013

Hmmmmm,

     What you write is probably quite correct.

     The track record of nuclear power in the USA is  quite good.  TMI was
not good.  Fuel uncovered and one
reactor was lost.  No major releases.  No loss of  farmland, no high doses
to population etc.

     Chernobyl....Operator error.  Plant severely  breached.  Loss of life.
 Local or more farmland not
usable.  Much of local population had to be moved out of the  area.
Original containment of reactor not very
good.  Ouch.

     Fukushima.  Reactors probably OK in  fundamental design.  Bad design
to put reactors close to shoreline in  pretty severe earthquake country.  We
shouldn't do this again.  Bad  backup of electrical power systems.
No tsunami stormwall.  Ouch.

    Other power reactor accidents not large compared to the  preceding.

     Currently EPA regulations making it not very  viable to build new
reactors in the USA.  Relatively cheap coal, oil,  gasoline, natural gas,
methane,etc. also make it difficult to build new nuclear  plants.

     So, what now???  Current USA reactors will  operate for next 20-40
years.  Will new ones be built during that time  span???  Will Fusion ever come
on line???  We've been waiting on  Fusion for 50+ Years now....Ouch.
Reactor spent fuel, if reprocessed,  could significantly add to Human ability to
make power/energy for 100's of  years.  Coal and methane may be around for
100's of years.  I don't  see much of an energy crisis.

    High school kids/university kids/grad students could  probably be
coaxed to build robotic systems to reprocess spent fuel.  Heck,  there could be
student assistantships for grad students to sit at a robotic  reprocessing
station for 15 hours a week (with low dose rate, as  designed)...we'll see.

    What's going on with modular reactors???

     Regards,    Joe Preisig

In a message dated 5/13/2013 1:43:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,