[ RadSafe ] Re-settling Chernobyl area

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sun May 19 07:41:59 CDT 2013

Joel,
Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki are cities full with people, shops, cars etc.
like any other (Japanese) city. If it were not for the memorials and some
ruins left standing deliberately one would not be able to recognize that
these towns were destroyed by nuclear bombs. (I have  been twice in
Hiroshima and once in Nagasaki.)

As for rebuilding I can recommend facts from Google: For Hiroshima a
construction law to rebuild the town was passed in 1949, the Hiroshima Peace
Memorial Museum opened in 1955. (It is worth visiting.) The number of
inhabitants was 419,182 in 1942, after the bombing it was 137,197 and in
1955 it had returned to "pre-war level". The town and its vicinity is a
center for various big industries, one being "Mazda", where my car comes
from.

There was less information on Nagasaki, but todays population is 440,000. It
was stated that the radiation dose is not distinguishable from ambient doses
elsewhere.

Let me finally remark that both towns are of considerable historic interest.
The harbor of Nagasaki was for a very long time the only one open for trade
with foreign countries.

This is not much information, but confirms very well that all that rubbish
anti-nuclear groups tell people about land not being usable after a nuclear
accident for centuries is just what it is: BS.

Best regards,

Franz