[ RadSafe ] More on the indefensible attack on dead scientists - Gofman et al

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 21 00:23:00 CDT 2013

Dear radsafers,

I am happy that my routine query on a judgment which describes the behavior of Dr John Gofman led to a series of reactions.

When Dr Gofman writes a scientific paper in a peer reviewed journal he uses the normal caveats, ifs and buts;but when he addresses the media or writes a popular book, his conclusions are clear. definite and final! In 1981 or 1982 when he addressed the media probably while launching one of his books he was very assertive though his conclusions were based on his own exaggerated radiation risk coefficients.

An influential antinuclear group in India believes that whatever he wrote is gospel truth. Believe it or not over 36 out of the 132 pages of an anti nuclear booklet titled "Nuclear energy:gateway to a disastrous future" are filled with references to Gofman's books.

I  accept that his scientific contribution must be the only basis on which he should be assessed. But  I believe that this idea will hold if he  publicized his conclusions with the normal caveats. But while addressing the media if he colors his perception and exaggerates radiation risks to scare lay people, a few at least will not accept that he was an angel. Gofman the scientist was not the Gofman who address the media. If  any one noted this behaviour  and judged him on that count, it should not be considered as an indefensible attack a dead scientist.

With warm regards
Parthasarathy