[ RadSafe ] Fwd: New Book: A Short History of Nuclear Folly

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 11:07:23 CDT 2013

Andy

Absolutely.  And there was nothing "boneheaded" about the pacemakers,
that I can see.  Pts lived for decades with those devices, and
essentially no maintenance beyond routine office visits (OV) to their
cardiologists.  (Please note, I don't know how often the leads moved,
and the pts needed a fairly invasive procedure to correct that, but
that would not have been a problem specific to nuclear-powered, as
opposed to chemically-powered batteries.)

Also, we should be clear that we are discussing Pu-238, in this
context, not the weapons material, Pu-239.  The t1/2 is 88 y, not
24,000 y.

Cheers
cja