[ RadSafe ] Ionizing radiation from Dark Lightning

Wed May 29 18:46:46 CDT 2013

" In 2006, two independent satellites-one equipped with an optical detector and the other carrying a gamma ray detector-coincidentally flew within 300 kilometers (186 miles) of a Venezuelan storm as a powerful lightning bolt exploded within a thundercloud. Scientists were unaware then that a weak flash of dark lightning had preceded the bright lightning.

But last year, Østgaard and his colleagues discovered the previously unknown gamma ray burst while reprocessing the satellite data. "We developed a new, improved search algorithm...and identified more than twice as many terrestrial gamma flashes than originally reported," said Østgaard. He and his team detected the gamma ray flash and a discharge of radio waves immediately preceding the visible lightning."

I admit to knowing almost nothing about this, but a thought occurs:  We all know that light travels at different velocities in different media.  Could it be possible that different frequencies, such as gamma an visible, travel through air at slightly different velocities, to the point where an observer a couple hundred kilometers away could detect the difference?

In any event, an interesting phenomena.  I love that things like this keep popping up to show us that our understanding of the universe is not quite as complete as we sometimes think.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Shonka
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:51 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Ionizing radiation from Dark Lightning

look at: http://www.agu.org/news/press/pr_archives/2013/2013-15.shtml

--
Joseph J. Shonka, Ph.D.
Shonka Research Associates, Inc.

addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify Shonka Research Associates, Inc. at (770) 509-7606 and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof.