[ RadSafe ] The Plowshare program got a "bum rap"

tinyyoli tinyyoli at aol.com
Tue May 28 20:27:11 CDT 2013

I was priveledged to work in the Plowshare program at LLNL. By far, per unit
mass, nuclear exlopsives are the cheapest way of excavating and/or moving
earth for costruction of navigable canals, highways, etc. Contained underground
applications included freeing hyrocarbon resources, and storage of gasses and
liquids, including wastes from nuclear power plants. There was much excellent
science done in the program which, for security reasons cannot be discussed. Of
course, the big scare tactic used by program opponents was the potential for
radiation exposure to the public. If it were possible to reveal, it would be
surprising how low public exposure levels would have been. Of course, from a
politiical standpoint, ANY IS TOO MUCH. And so, the program died an untimely
death.
Too bad----I believe we missed a good bet
Jerry Cohen

With regards to the  Nazi nuclear weapons program, the best book I've read on
the subject is "Heisenberg's War" - this went a long ways towards convincing me
that the Nazis (including Hitler) were avidly pursuing nuclear weapons and that
Heisenberg and other scientists helped delay matters because of their concerns.

With regards to the Plowshares Program, it's easy to scoff today - and some of
the schemes certainly seem nutty with the benefit of hindsight. But at a time
when nuclear weapons were viewed as being really big explosives (and lacked the
emotional and political overtones of today) such plans seemed reasonable - a lot
of people wanted desperately for something good to come from devices that made
such horrible weapons. But as we learned more - and as we learned more about the
health and environmental effects of the things - everyone figured out that the
cost might be too high.

I'm assuming that the "implanting plutonium into patients' hearts" refers to
plutonium-powered pacemakers - another idea that seemed to be reasonable at the
time since it meant that the rudimentary pacemakers of the day wouldn't need
additional surgery to replace batteries.

To me the question isn't about the soundness (or stupidity) of this work as we
see it today so much as the intent of those proposing the projects in light of
what they knew at the time. In the Plowshares Program and the plutonium-powered
pacemakers I see programs that were well-intentioned based on what we knew at
the time - I guess we could call them "noble blunders."

And then there are plenty of other things that are just boneheaded....

Andy