[ RadSafe ] Arafat Po poisoning report

Barbara Hamrick blhamrick at aol.com
Thu Nov 7 16:11:09 CST 2013

0

From: "Dr. Francis Y. Tsang" <francistsang at cox.net>
Sender: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 13:57:24
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Arafat Po poisoning report

Assuming he stopped smoking couple years before he died.  Based on the information of the recent report, a concentration of almost 1 Bq/gm (2.7027027 × 10-11 curies / gram) in bone equates to ~17 MBq/gm (4.6 x 10-4  curies /gram) => 0.46 mCi => 460 micro-Ci/gm at time of his death in Oct 2004.

The median lethal dose of Po-210 is about 240 micro-Ci which is equal to 50 nanograms in the case of ingestion.