[ RadSafe ] EU NORM Question

gert.jonkers at shell.com gert.jonkers at shell.com
Mon Oct 21 06:15:50 CDT 2013

Charlie,

In your original mail you were wondering "if a company using such material has performed occupational and public dose assessments confirming worker and public dose is indistinguishable from background, is the company exempt from further NORM regulatory requirements?" IMHO you have to look for approval of your documented dose assessment by your national competent authority, before company activities may be exempted from further national NORM regulatory requirements. This may require some cogency towards the national competent authorities.

Based on the outcomes of national implementations of Title VII of EC Directive 96/29 the EU has come up with a "list of industrial sectors involving NORM as referred to in article 24". Zircon and zirconium industry (incl. research and relevant secondary processes) is present on this list. The list (Annex V) I am referring to is derived from the May 24, 2013 draft EU Directive intended to replace EC Directive 96/29 within in the near future.

As you probably know the Directive you are referring is more or less ready for update and soon will be replaced by a new Directive.

From the (draft) new Directive Annex VI "exemption and clearance criteria as referred to in articles 25a, 25c and 29" Table A, part 2 applies to all Naturally Occurring Radionuclide's (NOR's) "in the decay chain of U-238 and Th-232, but for segments of the decay chain, which are not in equilibrium with the parent radionuclide, higher values may be applied".
Table A, part 2 reads:
"values for exemption or clearance for NOR's in solid materials in secular equilibrium with their progeny"
NOR's from the U-238 series    1 kBq/kg
NOR's from the Th-232 series   1 kBq/kg
K-40                          10 kBq/kg

Next to this there is a Table B that lists "total activity values for exemption and exemption values for the activity concentration in moderate amounts of any type of material". Here for the relevant NOR's this table provides
NOR          sub-series NOR's
U-238 DECAY SERIES
U-238(eq)   Th-234 & Pa-234m              10 kBq/kg        10,000 Bq
Th-234(eq)  Pa-234m                    1,000 kBq/kg       100,000 Bq
U-234                                     10 kBq/kg        10,000 Bq
Th-230                                     1 kBq/kg        10,000 Bq
Ra-226(eq)  Rn-222 u/u Po-210             10 kBq/kg        10,000 Bq
Pb-210(eq)  Bi-210 & Po-210               10 kBq/kg        10,000 Bq
Bi-210(eq)  Po-210                     1,000 kBq/kg     1,000,000 Bq
Po-210                                    10 kBq/kg        10,000 Bq
Th-232 DECAY SERIES
Th-232 not listed
Ra-228(eq)  Ac-228                        10 kBq/kg       100,000 Bq
Ac-228                                    10 kBq/kg     1,000,000 Bq
Th-228(eq)  Ra-224 u/u Tl-208/Po-212       1 kBq/kg        10,000 Bq
Ra-224(eq)  Rn-220 u/u Tl-208/Po-212      10 kBq/kg       100,000 Bq
Pb-212(eq)  Bi-212 u/u Tl-208/Po-212      10 kBq/kg       100,000 Bq
Bi-212(eq)  Tl-208/Po-212                 10 kBq/kg       100,000 Bq
Comment: during Oil & Gas Production (also listed in Annex V), mainly Ra NOR's are leached and transported with the aqueous stream to the surface. For Ra-228 this implies, that we are only dealing with Ra-228(eq), but guess what happens if this NOR's deposits in a scale wit the approximate exempt concentrations (so 10 kBq/kg) and the scale resides for say 2 years in operational installations. Roughly speaking Th-228(eq) concentrations grow in from 0 kBq/kg (exempt) to about 8 kBq/kg (non-exempt). This issue was already more or less flagged in the EU Directive 96/29, but still not taken care of in the new draft.
K-40                                     100 kBq/kg     1,000,000 Bq
Potassium salts in quantities < 1,000 kg are exempted

Hope this helps to settle your query,
Kind regards,
Gert Jonkers