[ RadSafe ] The Effects of Space Weather on Aviation

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Mon Oct 28 09:20:19 CDT 2013

There are nuggets of accuracy in here, but they are used misleadingly. For example:

-It is correct that some flight crews receive up to 10 mSv/yr (more or less), but it is not accurate to say that passengers who join them for a few hours are going to be exposed to occupational doses of radiation.

-In spite of elevated radiation doses to pilots, there are no studies that show a clear increase in cancer risk to flight crews - military or civilian. The only noted increase in cancer was melanoma - and the study's authors felt this was due to recreational activities (golfing or hitting the beach during layovers).

-It is correct to say that frequent flyers receive elevated levels of radiation, but it's not true that the dose is the same at all latitudes (the article contradicts itself on this point).

-Using the "chest x-ray equivalent" is misleading since doses vary so much according to the technique used and the age of the x-ray machine. And then are we talking about dose in the x-ray field, or equivalent WB dose?

For what it's worth - I picked up more dose flying to and from Japan after the Fukushima accident than I did during my visit (7 days in Tokyo and 3 days in the Sendai/Fukushima area). According to my dosimeter I received 60 microSv each way by air and only about 40 microSv on the ground.

Andy