[ RadSafe ] > 300 mrems/month = "no significant exposure"?

William Lipton doctorbill34 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:07:13 CDT 2013

The key words are:  "reasonably achievable."   I realize that cardiac
catheterization incurs high doses, even with the best practices.  These are
reasonable considering the benefits to the patients.

Radiography is different.  If done properly, there should not be any
measurable dose from the radiography source.  The only exposure would be
from other sources at the site.  These should be removed or shielded, if
feasible.

I used to help plan radiography at a power reactor.  This sometimes
required entry into hi rad areas.  Even then, the dose I see, here, would
not be acceptable without strong justification.

Health physics is, allegedly, a profession to protect workers and the
public from unjustified rad exposure.  The good practices for a power
reactor should apply everywhere.  I take this very seriously, and find the
"s..t happens" approach that I see all too often most disturbing.

Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.