[ RadSafe ] BBC article: Nuclear plants 'do not raise child cancerrisk' THIS IS NOT UNUSUAL FOR THE BBC

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 14 00:09:39 CDT 2013

Dear Dr Brennan Mike,

This is nothing unusual. a few years ago, I  found that a reporter handling BBC's science desk read too much into a paper which showed extra mitochondrial DNA mutations in three generations of residents in the High Background Radiation Area (HBRA) in Kerala.

You can access the article which described the news story and related correspondence at:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040903/science.htm#3

Occasionally, the authors also deliberately give scope to speculation.

I was hauled up for taking a stand that epidemiological studies around nuclear installations are by and large a public relations exercise!! Those familiar with the TV story on childhood leukemia in sellafield, the setting up of a committee to investigate it, the formation of COMARE and repetition of such studies in USA, canada, UK, France etc may hopefully agree with me.Canadian Nuclear safety Commissions study was released last month.

WE have to acrry on such studies because " people" want it!!

Warm regards
Parthasarathy