[ RadSafe ] Nuclear-News Claims] Extremely radioactive particle found in Japan - 300 miles from Fukushima - News banned in Japan

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Fri Apr 4 23:51:13 CDT 2014

There were 2 screenshots purporting to be related to chemical or radiochemical analysis.  The there was an energy dispersive x-ray spectrum in which Si was by far the most abundant peak -  little detail was provided, but assuming silicon is the most abundant element,  I don't see how this is nuclear fuel related, even without criticizing the other elemental ID's, which I am sure deserve some criticism.

A second set of images shows photomicrographs with Ce, Zr, Y, Eu, Sm typed in over the image - no data or rationale provided.  I presume they are suggesting these ID's result from gamma spectroscopy, rather than chemical analysis.  Although it is hard to make heads or tails of it with the lack of details, I didn't find any element of it to hold together technically.  But I am sure readers of RadSafe are not the intended audience.  :)

Brad