[ RadSafe ] EPA to make radiation standards more protective?

Richard D. Urban Jr. radmax at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 1 03:34:56 CDT 2014

Maury, I think you misread... this 'alert' was in OPPOSITION to the EPA RAISING allowable limits, IOW, LESSENING the regulatory restrictions by allowing much higher annual dose rates to the general public more in line with ACTUAL radiation hazard than the traditional LNT dogma, and permitting the use of Effective Dose Equivalent (EDE, which the NRC adopted several years ago) for calculating dose to the public from various activities, most noticeably site closures.
Except for those in the field who sell their souls to the Ambulance Chasing Trial Lawyers... this is a good thing and should be encouraged as it will eventually lead to an even greater acceptance of 'good radiation'...

However, that being said... EPA is also taking a VERY backward action against Krypton-85 in power plant effluents, attempting to reduce output limits on a noble gas that has NO biological pathway...

As Joe said... it's time to get a few more HP's at the EPA...and also fire all the dead wood political appointees...
Rick