[ RadSafe ] Fission Future

James Darrough darrougj at onid.oregonstate.edu
Thu Aug 14 15:33:34 CDT 2014

I believe we should continue to research and perfect Thorium fueled reactor
designs. I realize they can be a security issue due to U-233 being produced
in the core, but since Thorium is almost ubiquitous, found in beach sands
throughout the world I believe, it only makes sense to develop a way to use
it in power production.

Nuclear Engineers and Scientists are well aware of the methodology needed,
but they are all afraid of the U-233 being too easy to extract, and since it
can be used for nuclear weapons, it's a no-no to them as well as DOD and
DOE, I would assume.

My two cents worth.

Jim