[ RadSafe ] Cancer

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Sun Aug 17 22:19:59 CDT 2014

Radsafe,

      I guess in cancer production, the carcinogen  is in some volume
within the body, and this volume can grow if the carcinogen  continues to be
introduced into the body.  The cancer is probably in the  vicinity of this
carcinogen volume.  One question I might ask is that once  the cancer grows
outside of the carcinogen volume, will the cells (upon cellular  division)
continue to be cancerous?  I expect bodily circulation and other  processes could
also cause the carcinogen volume to diminish in size.   Quite a dynamic
process....

     I guess cancer production via radiation is a whole  different process,
mostly a scattering process of the various forms of radiation  by cells,
DNA and so on.  Any new science on single strand breaks, double  strand breaks
etc. in the literature lately???

    Maybe someone (a young person) could start to use MCNP,  MCNPX or some
similar computer code, to model computationally (on a  supercomputer these
days) the scattering of radiation from DNA strands, whole  human cells,
groups of cells, various human tissues and so on.   Computationally setting up
the first DNA strand or human cell would be pretty  daunting.  The repeated
structures capability of MCNP might be  helpful.   Doing some studies
computationally may allow us to avoid  doing all the studies via lab experiments on
various animals.  I guess  animal studies would still be required for
important intellectual steps...

    Has it ever been observed that a cancerous human cell  has reverted to
a non-cancerous state????

    Have a good week.     Regards,    Joseph R. Preisig