[ RadSafe ] Cancer

Doss, Mohan Mohan.Doss at fccc.edu
Mon Aug 18 13:50:30 CDT 2014

Dear Joe,
    The basic concept you are implying, that DNA damage causes cancer, is not consistent with evidence.  Of course DNA damage is needed to have cancer, but it is not sufficient.  In fact almost everyone has covert cancer http://www.nature.com/nrc/journal/v14/n4/full/nrc3703.html , i.e. cells with carcinogenic mutations, but a majority of us are not diagnosed with cancer even in all of our lifetime.  What gives rise to clinical cancer is the depression of the immune system, which allows these covert cancers to grow uncontrollably.  If the immune system is not depressed, the slightly increased number of mutations from any cause, e.g. radiation, would not affect cancer risk.    Low-dose radiation boosts the immune system and so would reduce rather than increase cancers.  The adaptive response due to low-dose radiation would boost defenses like DNA repair enzymes and so would reduce the damage to DNA over the longer term, since the increased protection would reduce the endogenous DNA damage that would have occurred otherwise. I have described this briefly in the recent debate on health effects of low-dose radiation in Medical Physics http://scitation.aip.org/content/aapm/journal/medphys/41/7/10.1118/1.4881095.
   So, doing MCNP, etc. to calculate the DNA damage, without including the adaptive response of the body, may not help with estimating cancer risk from radiation.
   There is evidence cancers have resolved spontaneously, and this is probably because the immune system got rid of the cancer cells.
   With best regards,
                                           Mohan

Mohan Doss, Ph.D., MCCPM
Medical Physicist,
Associate Professor, Diagnostic Imaging,
Fox Chase Cancer Center,
333 Cottman Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497.
Phone: 215 214-1707