[ RadSafe ] Molten Salt Reactor

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Mon Aug 18 14:43:18 CDT 2014

I am not sure what the exact design is from Transatomics, but molten salt designs are pretty well developed conceptually.  In very broad strokes, a mixture of fluoride salts is used to contain the fissile material and this can become critical when flowing through the moderated core (perhaps with reflectors as well) ; the salt also serves as the heat transfer medium to the primary cooling loop.  If cooling capacity is interrupted, a "freeze plug" melts and allows the molten salts with fuel to flow into holding tanks away from the core, and these tanks have adequate passive cooling to allow the salt to solidify, thus containing the entire mixture as a solid with minimal releases, and removing the salt/fuel from the moderator, thus terminating criticality.

This will of course require a bit of operational flexibility to accommodate various mixtures of transuranics, but has a lot of potential to turn spent fuel back to kWe!

Bradly D. Keck

Sent from my iPad