[ RadSafe ] Update on lead aprons in nuclear medicine

Lemieux, Bryan P blemieux at uthsc.edu
Mon Aug 25 17:42:24 CDT 2014

Hello,

You also need to look at what energy the lead equivalence is at.  Many of these composite materials are only "lead equivalent" in the energy range for scatter x-rays from diagnostic energy x-ray beams..... Get the manufacturer data on the actual attenuation properties by energy to see what it would be for your gammas.

Bryan Lemieux, M.S., CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
3 N Dunlap St. S110 Van Vleet Bldg
Memphis, TN 38163
Phone:  901-448-6114
Fax:      901-448-7774