[ RadSafe ] Fwd: X-Ray Art: A Deeper Look at Everyday Objects

Todd Maxwell toddmax at scripps.edu
Wed Feb 12 17:02:41 CST 2014

It seems to me that
1) As some have stated, the image that included the foot occurred long enough ago that it probably wasn't prohibited.
2) It is mentioned that he works with/for a facility so there is nothing to prevent him from using the image that was produced for an approved diagnostic procedure (with medical benefit). So even today, with all of our regulations, what's to prevent him from getting permission from the patient and turn it into art?
3) Many of us might be exposed to radiation (even from x-ray machines) as part of our jobs yet we do not receiving any medical benefit. I was always led to believe that employees exposed to radiation are receiving a benefit in the form of a salary. ALARA is practiced but occasionally x-ray techs do get exposed while holding a baby/child in position. If the model is being paid, would this make it alright?

Just some thoughts.

I agree with the general consensus that "art" doesn't really meet the definition of "benefit" as the term is regularly used and ALARA suggests that this isn't the best idea in the world. But, in general if a well-informed individual wants to participate in such art, who am I, or the government, to say they shouldn't?

Good thing he has resorted to "still life" art and essentially ended the debate...for now.

"With great power must also come great responsibility." - Stan Lee

Todd Maxwell, MS
Radiation Safety Officer,
Manager Controlled Substances Program
The Scripps Research Institute