[ RadSafe ] 4.4 billion year old crystal

dlawrencenewyork at aol.com dlawrencenewyork at aol.com
Mon Feb 24 17:53:15 CST 2014

Jeffery,

This has to do with the fact that they were dating a Zircon crystal which when formed has  essentially no lead in its' crystalline structure but will incorporate Uranium (and Thorium); therefore any lead incorporated into it can inferred to be the result of radioactive decay. In a closed system (eg no lead loss) you can use the combined Pb-206/U-238 and Pb-207/U-235 ratios to fairly accurately date the crystal out to about 4.5 billion years assuming your crystal is in good shape. This works for some other crystals also, but I think not as well since the Zircon is very resistant to weathering and incorporates absolutely no lead when formed.

Best Regards,
David