[ RadSafe ] hand held meters

Dennis Quinn dqdx at aol.com
Tue Jan 14 17:48:21 CST 2014

Typically, near background surveys are performed with a scintillation detector, such as a 2" x 2" sodium iodide. The background you listed of 20 micro-R/hr sounds a bit high for typical background. There's a bit more to it, such as making sure you really know the background variability, if you are trying to distinguish from background. As previously mentioned, it depends on what specifically you are looking for.

Dennis Quinn