[ RadSafe ] Fwd: hand held meters

Tianna Gross Tianna.Gross at uregina.ca
Wed Jan 15 11:10:30 CST 2014

Hello All,

I would like to ask a follow up question regarding this topic. I am up in Canada, so some regulations may differ but I would like to hear your opinions and expertise. I have a academic geologist going into the field to "find" and "bring home" uranium and other rock samples for study. He goes with other Government Geologists, which seem to be unaware of radiation and do not reliably monitor the samples to bring home. He would like to purchase and bring a survey meter into the field for future studies, to eliminate the "hotter" rocks from coming back on campus. What survey meter do you recommend? I was thinking a GM pancake would be sufficient for these basic proposed activities. Thoughts?

Thank you so much!

Tianna

-----------------------------------
Tianna Gross, M.Sc.
Radiation & Biological Safety Consultant
Health, Safety & Environment | Human Resources
University of Regina
Office: (306) 585.5198/ Cell: (306) 527.4320

http://www.uregina.ca/hr/hse/

This email and any attachments may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended only for the user of the addressee(s). Any use, disclosure or copying of this email by anyone other than an addressee(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete or destroy it immediately without making a copy and notify the sender by telephone or return email.

Hi John:

Hand-held devices are very sensitive to the geometry of the sampling
conditions. For instance, if you are in a swale or depression, the meter
will sense a higher level than if the ground is flat. This gave rise to
many misunderstood measurements related to e.g. craters made by artillery.
If a reading is made inside the crater, it will be always be higher than
the soil surrounding the crater.

In my experience, it takes a full "field-season" for a newby geologist to
understand what he is actually measuring, and to take into account the
geometry of the measurement conditions.  I recommend that your people leave
the meter on all the time so that they can get a basis for understanding
what they are measuring,

Measurements will also differ according to the height above the soil that
an instrument "sees" the surrounding gamma values.  Difference will also be
present in soils that have been used for agriculture from the radium &
radium progeny from the phosphate fertilizers spread on the soil.  SInce I
was "looking" for uranium ores, my measurements included background as well
as elevated rates for rocks that had elevated levels of natural
radionuclides (K-U-Th Series).

My ears can still hear the 1000s of hours that my scintillation counter was
active during field work. I'd average about 140 days each year in the
field, so I became very accustomed to hearing artifacts. Temporal spikes
are not uncommon, so set the time constant on a longer integration time to
smooth these features out.

Also, measurements with meters will vary slightly according to the ambient
temperature of the meter; but please guard against thermal shocks since it
is possible to crack the NaI crystal that way.

Best!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd