[ RadSafe ] Hospital workers subjected to excessive radiation, lawsuits claim

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 13:48:53 CST 2014

Susan (at least I think that is your first name),

    I really appreciate receiving this article.  In my experience working at a hospital it is all too common for the sales people to make statements that will lead the purchaser to under estimate the expenses involved with the installation of a major pieces of equipment such as a CT.  Additionally, often time the folks in Radiology pushing the acquisition and the hospital's engineering project personnel fail to include the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) or Medical Physicist in the earliest stages of acquisition and planning, and then when the project is in the middle of construction the engineers will complain that it's too expensive to issue a change order for the project.  The RSO or the Medical Physicist can't very well give professional advise on projects if they aren't included anywhere in the acquisition, planning and construction process.  In other words, if the radiation safety professionals are left in the dark about acquisition and
 construction this is an example of what happens.

    Based on the article, it appears that this CT suite was constructed without a shielding plan, and that a post-construction shielding survey wasn't performed.  I find it hard to believe that this is in accordance with Tennessee state law.  I'd have to dig through the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) publications, but I am fairly certain this isn't in accordance with AAPM standards, please see   http://www.aapm.org/meetings/07ss/documents/Stevensshielding.pdf

Roy Herren