[ RadSafe ] Hospital workers subjected to excessive radiation, lawsuits claim

Tue Jan 21 11:47:06 CST 2014

Hi, Andy.

I agree that I am dubious about claims of acute injury due to radiation, including birth defects.  On the other hand, if enough was getting through the wall to fog their films, then that was far too much (fogged films reduce image clarity, which increases the chances of something being missed, so if nothing else it harms patient care).

It should be relatively easy (though not necessarily cheap) to do a dose reconstruction for the techs.  I hope the facility took some good readings (or better yet, hired a third party to take readings) before they dismantled the wall.

Although I am not convinced actual injury has occurred, I wouldn't want to be the expert witness for the facility.  It is likely to be very uncomfortable.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of KARAM, PHILIP
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 9:10 AM
To: 'The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Hospital workers subjected to excessive radiation, lawsuits claim

This really leaves me with mixed feelings. On the one hand, as everyone has said, the lack of shielding is a huge oversight that should have been caught. On the other hand, I tend to be dubious about claims of radiation injury until I know something about the doses to which people were exposed.

Before accepting the claims that seizures, birth defects, etc. are due to the lack of shielding I think I'd want to make some dose measurements and perform a formal dose reconstruction. Without making the measurements and doing the math we just can't know if this is only an inexcusable mistake in CT room design, or if it also hurt people.

Andy