[ RadSafe ] Fwd: hand held meters

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Fri Jan 24 12:48:51 CST 2014

To get a little into the nitty-gritty...some types of clay contain more K than others. Illite in particular can be up to 6% potassium by weight. I can't remember the activity concentration of K-40 that this gives you, but you can sure see it with any sodium iodide detector.

One of the things that makes clay challenging is that clay deposits are not always uniform - they can be variable thickness and buried to variable depths. This seemed especially bad in formerly glaciated areas and, as you noted, can make characterization of normal background difficult.

Andy