[ RadSafe ] Man pleads guilty in plot to build mobile death ray

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Mon Jan 27 15:29:34 CST 2014

Intent to commit a crime has always been punishable as long as that intent was leading towards an illegal act. So, for example, saying "I ought to kill (fill in the blank)" is just spouting off; buying a rope, lead bricks, a body bag, and conducting surveillance on (fill in the blank) is against the law, even if you never actually use them.

Similarly, conspiring to commit an illegal act - putting together a team, developing an action plan, and taking concrete steps towards your nefarious goal - is illegal even if you are busted before committing the crime. In fact, this is usually lauded as good policing.

The question that this particular case raises is whether or not it's illegal to have a conspiracy that plots to do something that's physically impossible. In other words, should these jokers go to prison, to summer school for remedial physics, or should they be institutionalized?

Andy