[ RadSafe ] Radiation survey of Japanese automobiles after Fukushima

Cueva, Louie louie.cueva at boeing.com
Thu Jun 19 15:55:36 CDT 2014

In the weeks after the F-D event I surveyed contaminated sea-land containers that originated from ports in Japan.  The activity of alarm events from the Port's portal monitoring decayed out (pun intended).  Once in a while we get notification of a hit on a truck exiting the Port, but have not seen activity in months.  A gamma-spec of some of the initial containers indicated Cs-137, Cs-134 and lesser ratios of I-131.  The contamination almost always was the result of environmental (removable) contamination in cracks and crevices of the container exteriors.

-Louie