[ RadSafe ] Scientists: Test West Coast for Fukushima radiation

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:31:54 CDT 2014

Just a question for the group:

As a uranium geologist, I am very aware of significant uptake of ocean-circulating uranium into marine phosphorites and marine black shales. For the phosphorites, uranium can be extracted economically as a co-product in the wet phosphoric acid process to produce fertilizers.

Given that the ocean-bottom materials also have high cation exchange capacity, I would have thought that much of the cesium/strontium would have been adsorbed onto this material given their high cation exchange selectivity.

Around Chernobyl, much of the Cs and Sr has been concentrated in the humus zones in soil and adsorbed into clays.

How I are the radionuclides from Fukushima distributed in the water column?  What mechanisms are active in the ocean for sequestering radionuclides?

Dan W McCarn
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544 USA
+1-505-670-8123