[ RadSafe ] Environment: Ingesting radioactive materials from Fukushima impacts butterflies

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Sun May 18 15:11:51 CDT 2014

Hard to say based on this report alone, but - taking the information presented as legitimate - it seems to me very likely that butterfly larvae would be very much impacted by: 1) the bacterial content and rottenness of feeding them forest floor detritus; 2) the fact that insects are highly acclimated to local diet; 3) the possibility of pesticide content with no apparent monitoring for this; and 4) the authors' complete lack of description as how the diets were comparable with the exception of any cesium - this is essential to their claim, of course.

Also, this is not "Nature" but an open access variant whose relationship to the "nature" you know is quite unclear to me, despite the type face similarity.  Perhaps someone associated with the journal we know as Nature will see this and comment?

On tv this morning I was treated to an infomercial for some sort of supplement that supposedly improves memory and defies aging.  This was prominently featured as having been published in "JANA"  - the type face used did happen to be quite similar to that used by "JAMA" - but I doubt the American Medical Association reviewed and approved!  Unfortunately, the science equivalent of the infomercial is now upon us.

Bradly D. Keck, PhD

Sent from my iPad