[ RadSafe ] Smithsonian - Low levels of radioactive cesium produced insect deformities at Fukushima

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Tue May 20 12:28:36 CDT 2014

In insects typically, the egg stage is by far the most radiosensitive.  There are some differences in sensitivity as you go from larval to pupal to adult,  but this relatively small and varies in direction among species.

Still, in any case you need at least 1,000 rad and usually more to make a dent in the survival curve...

In the "Scientific Report" in question,  there was no control of Cs form, no controls for each diet group and tiny, tiny numbers of larvae- only 5 in some cases.  Five.  Really,  five.  (Also no controls for nutrition or pesticide content.)

This is one of those "alternative universe" publications that give the appearance of seriousness, and are well crafted/published to look like real science.  It really does take some getting used to to read them,  but they are a real part of our open access world!

Brad

Sent from my iPad