[ RadSafe ] Cancer (Chemical, Physical Basis)

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Sun Nov 9 22:13:21 CST 2014

Dear Radsafe,

     Hope you are well.

     Guess there is another level of complexity  introduced to the model of
a normal human cell --- the existence of the cellular  nucleus.  The
nucleus is the central part of a cell, membrane enclosed and  an organelle.  Been
so long since I even learned of organelles.  The  DNA is enclosed in the
nucleus.

     I'll revisit somewhat what I think I am modeling  in a cellular cancer
genesis model.  We start with a normal cell exposed  internally or
externally to radiation or perhaps to a fluid containing some  percentage of
chemical(s) outside of the cell.

     1.  When exposed to a chemical carcinogen the  cell wall/boundary may
expand so that the cell might obtain more nutrients  and/or oxygen from the
volume exterior to the cell.

     2.  The cell itself may try to accelerate  osmosis/diffusion, other
processes to obtain more nutrients if surrounded by a  matrix of a chemical
carcinogen etc.  This may not be a good thing, if a
carcinogen/mutagen/chemical is being brought into the cell.

     3.  If a cell is immersed in a  carcinogen/mutagen/chemical it may try
to reproduce quickly to obtain more  oxygen/nutrients.  Again this could
provide some difficulty/exposure if the  cell is incorporating
carcinogens/chemicals etc. into its immediate  volume.

     4.  (NEW???) The cell nucleus boundary is  another interface which
carcinogens/chemicals etc. must cross to get to the  interior of the nucleus.
This interface crossing may be done by diffusion,  osmosis, other processes.
 Once the nucleus boundary is crossed (this  process should be modeled by
scientists etc.) carcinogen/chemical exposure can  happen to the DNA and
other substances within the cellular nucleus.  At  this point chemical
reactions, which are dependent on the chemicals involved,  can occur and can modify
the DNA, and thereby modify the various bodily traits  contained in the DNA.
What goes on is strongly dependent on which  chemicals are involved.  One
wonders at this point if the DNA has any  information on how to respond to
such chemical/carcinogen invasion, possibly  dependent on which chemicals are
involved.
I will leave this research topic to those folks who are working on human
DNA mapping.  Depending on which parts of the DNA are affected, various  body
organs etc. can be affected.  If the chemical concentation is  sufficient
(remember the concept of titer/titre from you Radiation Chemistry  class???),
and perhaps if the body's immune system is weak enough (without yet
modeling the body's adaptive pocesses, Mohan Doss), the chemically-induced
DNA-modification processes can go forward, affecting DNA functions, cellular
division and so on.  No wonder there are so many different bodily  cancers.  So,
maybe all the preceding statements describe somewhat how a  normal human
cell is turned into a cancerous cell.  Possibly benign cells  becoming
malignant also....

    With the many new supercomputers, perhaps these various  processes can
be mathematically modeled,  or perhaps tested in the  laboratory.  The
diffusion/osmosis rate across the cell boundary may be  different from the rate
across the cell nucleus boundary.  Perhaps the body  does have various
defense systems (the basis for immunotherapy???) against  cancer induction and
growth.

    Of course, more physical cancer induction may involve  radiation
(alpha, beta, gamma, xray, heavy ions)
hitting cells from internal or external sources.  From Eric Hall's  book on
Radiation Biology/Biophysics or other books you all??? may be familiar
with the various processes associated with radiation-produced cancer induction
--- single strand DNA breaks, double strand breaks, knock-out collisions,
various scattering processes, etc.  Some mutations will go forward and
produce various deleterious (or perhaps even positive) effects.  There are
people on Radsafe who are much more qualified to speak on these processes than
me.
But for one thing, compare the size of the various radiations versus the
size/scale of a DNA strand.  I wish good luck, and fast/efficient computing
facilities to anyone trying to model all these various processes, especially
 graduate students.

     Regards,   Joe Preisig