[ RadSafe ] Transport Index

Philip Simpson phils at umich.edu
Sun Oct 5 14:41:24 CDT 2014

HI Joel,

It’s my understanding that the TI is intended to limit exposures to the public and operators of common carrier conveyances assuming routine incidence and time of transport.  The maximum total of TI that can be in a single common carrier vehicle is 50.   However, I do not know what the specific assumptions are.  For those who are interested in more Rad Mat transport details see the NRC/DOT “Reactor Concepts Manual - Transportation of Radioactive Material” and DOT “Radioactive Material Regulations Review”.

If your concern is exposure to personnel doing the radioactive material package preparation and handling (who are required by HAZMAT regulations to have proper training), there are probably bigger endemic rad safety issues.

Phil Simpson
Engineer II and Retired Assistant Reactor Manager
Michigan Memorial Phoenix Energy Institute
(Formerly the Phoenix Memorial Laboratory/Ford Nuclear Reactor)
University of Michigan