[ RadSafe ] [EXTERNAL] Re: ATOMIC OVERLOOK

Vernig, Peter G. Peter.Vernig at va.gov
Tue Oct 28 11:33:21 CDT 2014

Noted

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer
(303) 399-8020 ext. 2447
Fax (303) 393-5026

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Strickert, Rick (Consultant)
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:28 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] [EXTERNAL] Re: ATOMIC OVERLOOK

You wrote: "I gathered that, they were just bigger and better. Didn't seem like the psychological effect of the complete devastation was considered."

Recall that Gen. Curtis LeMay, head of the 21st Bomber Command, had been conducting firebombing raids on Japanese cities in 1945.   LeMay, as a protégé of Air Marshall Arthur 'Bomber' Harris, had bombed German cities.   LeMay's view (and probably that of the typical solder fighting in the Pacific) was that any Japanese city aiding the Japanese war effort was an open target for attack by incendiary raids.  This pretty much included every city since the manufacturing of war materials included Japanese homes serving as a cottage industry for making small military components.  Deaths in the firebombings were comparable to the deaths in Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

There were no significant arguments that this wholesale destruction of Japanese cities was immoral, especially because Japanese atrocities on American and other Allied POWs were well known, and because of Pearl Harbor.

Rick Strickert
Austin, TX