[ RadSafe ] Astrophysicists Report Radioactive Cobalt in Supernova Explosion

Tue Sep 9 10:47:45 CDT 2014

I read something similar about neutrinos; if you were close enough to get a significant neutrino dose the ordinary operation of the star would have already killed you, let alone the supernova.

I also read a discussion (not a published paper) that argued it isn't the dust and gas of the core that shields, but given the number and close spacing of the stars in the core, it is a near certainty that that there would be a star in the direct line of sight, and a star should be enough shielding for anybody's purposes.  This is even more true if, as some theories hold, at the center of each galaxy there is a super-massive black hole.

All of this led me to the conclusion that astrophysicist deal in some weird stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of KARAM, PHILIP
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 7:13 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Astrophysicists Report Radioactive Cobalt in Supernova Explosion

I remember looking at this as well - a high-energy gamma ray burst in the Andromeda galaxy (about 3 million light-years away) could actually expose an astronaut here to about a rad (10 mGy).

There was some speculation in the late 1990s that periodic gamma ray bursts might explain why we haven't been contacted by alien civilizations yet - wondering if they periodically cause galaxy-wide mass extinctions. That seems dubious, given that even a "long" gamma ray burst only lasts a few seconds - enough to sterilize half a planet, but not the whole thing. Plus, the thick dust and gas clouds in the galactic core would help to shield the opposite side of the galaxy from the worst effects (although normal dust and gas clouds in the disk are so scanty as to offer very little in the way of attenuation).

There was also some speculation that neutrinos from supernovae might cause mass extinctions - there are about 10^57 neutrinos produced during the collapse of a giant star into a neutron star. But the interaction cross-section of SN-spectrum neutrinos is too small and, even with one very nearby, the dose would be too small to cause health problems. Interestingly, the biggest concern from a nearby supernova will likely be ozone depletion and the formation of opaque chemicals in the atmosphere. Some astronomers in Texas (Scalo an Wheeler) suggested that a climate-altering supernova might occur close enough to have a measurable impact every 10,000-100,000 years.

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
NYPD Counterterrorism
One Police Plaza, Room 1109