[ RadSafe ] Cs-137 beam calibrator output

Thompson, Dewey L DThompson3 at ameren.com
Mon Sep 22 20:16:31 CDT 2014

Clayton.

If it is an open beam, I would not expect too horrible of a contribution from Compton Scatter. There will be some, sure. I remember looking at an enclosed box calibrator some years ago, it would not only have the forward scatter but bounce back as well. You could see the effect, the measured dose rate was greater than narrow beam calculations, however it was no 27%.  I don't remember the details now, but I'm thinking it was like 7% to 9%.  Don't hold me to the number, I've slept since then.

A couple of thoughts, well, really one. How confident are you in the gamma constant you are using?  The numbers vary wildly depending on your reference. For example, the IEM website shows a gamma constant for CS~137 as 0,38184 R/C at a meter, that's .229 R/hr if I can still run a calculator.

Ditto to the previous poster on source strength accuracy.

Oh, and I guess I can come up with a second thought. If the source is Cesium salt powder, it can show "hot spots", and not be uniform.

Oh yeah.  A third thought. What instrument was used, and did it have the proper equilibrium shield?

All these errors compound of course.
Thoughts and musings.

Dewey
Sent from my iPhone