[ RadSafe ] Franz's question on psychological/psychiatric research on anti-nuclear activists

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 02:45:33 CDT 2015

Hi Peter & Franz:

In all fairness to Franz, there was work to determine the health outcomes
of many of the Chernobyl survivors aside from cancer. St. Petersburg State
Institute of Technology wrote a study years ago on health outcomes, but the
paper was squashed, especially by the media. The comparison was for people
who remained near the exclusion zone and those that were relocated. The
relocated group was most severely impacted, usually by media. I've not been
able to get a copy of the paper in spite of promises by my old Russian
boss, with whom I've lost contact.

Among other things, it listed 5 significant outcomes, far greater than
cancer.
1) Suicide
2) Drug / alcohol abuse
3) Diabetes
4) Heart Disease
5) Stroke

This same list seems to describe other populations under a state of
extended emotional stress not associated with "nuclear" events.

So, sorry Franz, I wish I did have a copy of that paper. Perhaps some
"analogues" to a disaster such as the tsunami in the Indian Ocean might
have been studied.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd