[ RadSafe ] [EXTERNAL] Re: LNT Dogma? - Future of Radiation Safety Regulations

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Mon Aug 24 13:45:32 CDT 2015

Background radiation is only a small part of the natural exposure to mutagens. The presence of free oxygen, leakage of free radicals from mitochondria, reactive oxidative metabolites, and so forth account for over 90% of background DNA damage - background radiation is about 5% or less (and cosmic radiation is only about 10% of background radiation).

Having said that, an astronomer named Adrian Melott has published a number of papers that try to correlate the Sun's position in the galactic disk with surges in the formation of new species. The Sun oscillates through the galactic disk and, when it's "above" the disk (relative to our galaxy's motion through space) there seems to be a correlation with higher rates of speciation. Melott speculates that this is because incoming inter-galactic cosmic rays are less attenuated by the galactic magnetic field when the Sun is above the galactic disk than when the Sun is below (because the magnetic field is compressed by the motion of the galaxy through space) - that added bit of radiation (he feels) helps to nudge evolution along just a tad faster, leading to higher levels of speciation. He also claims to see a strong correlation of this in the fossil record. I've read several of his papers and exchanged a lot of email with him about this - I have to say that his arguments are very compelling, but I don't know enough of the statistics he uses to evaluate his argument. At best, I'd guess it's a second- or third-order effect - but over geologic (and astronomical) timescales it could add up to enough to be significant.

Having said all this, we're talking millions to tens of millions of years. I have my doubts about governmental efficiency, but not even governments move that slowly! My guess is that regulatory dose limits won't play a role in human evolution one way or another.

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, PhD, CHP
NYPD Counterterrorism
One Police Plaza, Room 1109