[ RadSafe ] So, in terms of health physics, what goes on in television?

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Mon Dec 21 23:06:48 CST 2015

Say what you will - BUT - the diffuse nature of a raster scan beam, that
strikes on the mask or grid wires would be more like transmission anodes
with considerable self attenuation and that the larger the CRT the
greater the kV but also the thicker the glass. The problem was just NOT
the CRT!  I know - I was there!  I measured many TV sets - it was the
shut regulator tube in the back - ALSO - there was a considerable period
when TVs (and data terminals) were STILL using CRTs - LARGE CRTs - and
running the same (or higher in high resolution data color date
terminals) kV but had solid state high voltage supplies - ie. NO shunt
regulator tube - and it was at that point that the problem disappeared.