[ RadSafe ] Diffusion, Uranium and all that

Mon Dec 28 15:44:45 CST 2015

"The difference between an Engineer and a Physicist is that an Engineer views his models as potentially useful simplifications of reality.  A Physicist views reality as a special case, albeit potentially an important one, of his models."

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu [mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Preisig
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2015 12:18 PM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Diffusion, Uranium and all that

Mike/Radsafe,

     A good MS level accelerator/nuclear/particle physicist knows how to do the things you list.  An engineer might not.

     Ion sources are used to make ions for acceleration.  Yes, there might be a few accelerators, calutrons for each step of enrichment.  The accelerator beam, upon magnetic focusing/bending, keeps the Uranium from plating out on the side walls of the accelerator beamlines.  The acceleration process does not have to be high energy, but must have enough energy to accelerate the beam somewhat.  The calutron beam energy is probably adequate.  The electric, or magnetic fields, used to separate U235 from U238 are quite controllable and adjustable, these days.  Beam currents can be controlled from the accelerator control panel, or perhaps measured using a Faraday cup or whatever.  Don't know much about how the separated
U235 or U238 is collected eventually.  They did this in the Calutron somehow.  Maybe it is a deep, dark Calutron secret???  One could probably direct each separated beam along a beamline until it is collected somehow.
In the Migma target chamber, there was a device called Charlie's Elbow (Charlie Powell) which measured beam currents and was rotatable through some (position) angles (adjustable).

     Yes, accelerators and beamlines need good vacuum.  This is quite do-able.  Beamlines and accelerators reach low vacuum via a mechanical vacuum (one or more) and then diffusion pumps are turned on to provide higher vacuum.

     You probably don't need a Van de Graaff accelerator to do this Uranium separation --- a smaller one will do.  Back when Fusion Energy Corporation was in business, there were all kinds of PhD's, engineers, undergrad/graduate students around who could do this stuff.  Nowadays, just go to a University with a Van de Graaf accelerator around, and ask to speak to the local scientific staff, professors or grad students.  Don't know if diffusion separation is more economical than accelerator separation.  Back in the Calutron days at Oak Ridge, cost wasn't much of an issue.  It was more important to build a Uranium or Plutonium weapon quickly.

     Joe Preisig