[ RadSafe ] Special Session on Radiation in Flight

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Mon Feb 2 09:11:31 CST 2015

Thanks for the info! This brings up an interesting question, too, about whether or not in-flight radiation exposure should be considered "occupational." You can make a strong argument that pilots and flight crew are occupationally exposed since their occupations bring them into elevated radiation fields. After all, to our cells, radiation is radiation and it doesn't matter to them that it's elevated levels of natural radiation.

But then what about business travelers who, were it not for their occupation, would fly far less? I know a lot of people who routinely fly 100,000 miles (160,000 km) annually and almost certainly rack up more than 100 mrem (1 mSv) annually - should they also be considered to be occupational radiation workers since it's their work that gets them on the plane? Or is occupational exposure only what happens when we're on the clock (but then, what about folks who bill their travel time, or who pull out their computer and work on the plane)?

Anyhow - sounds like a good session!