[ RadSafe ] Beat phenomena and health physics

Edward Tupin edtupin at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 23:11:01 CST 2015

One of the factors that minimizes/eliminates the "beats" in health physics spectroscopy is the dead time phenomenon in the detectors.
that is, once a photon has interacted with the detector crystal, the crystal is "dead" and doesn't react with another photon until it has recovered. Thus it would be rare for beats to show up in gamma spectra. Sum peaks do occur - when two photons hit the detector at the same time, the energy is additive and produces a peak that shows at the sum of the two energies in the component peaks. Ed Tupin