[ RadSafe ] Chernobyl educational and training program, Sept. 6-12

Carl Willis carl.willis at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:33:47 CDT 2015

Dear RADSAFErs,

Interested in traveling to Chernobyl to learn about and experience the
radiological environment at the world's most famous nuclear facility?  We
had two cancellations for the September schedule and consequently there are
openings available.

I am one of the US-side coordinators for a pilot radiological training /
educational tour on Sept. 6-12, arranged and hosted by Chernobyl Nuclear
Power Plant ("ChNPP").  This is an opportunity to--among other
things--visit the interior of the power plant, enter the "Local Zone"
high-radiation work areas near the Shelter Object (Unit 4 sarcophagus),
enter some parts of the Shelter Object, learn how radiation protection and
work practices function in this unique environment, observe up-close and
first-hand the progress on the New Safe Confinement, and visit the
abandoned satellite city of Pripyat.  Some radiological classroom and field
activities will be included, and a certificate of course completion is
issued by ChNPP. We provide transportation from Kiev to Slavutych, all
transportation in the Exclusion Zone, lodging in Slavutych, mid-day meals
at the ChNPP cafeteria (delicious Ukrainian food!), English-speaking
translators and plant personnel, experience (this is my fourth trip), and a
sense of adventure. The participant list is limited to 12 people and was
full until this morning. Coordinating this program is not a commercial
activity for Erik Kambarian or myself...we're merely organizers, so we
think the cost is very approachable.  IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, please send me
a reply or call me at 505-412-3277; I will send a PDF description of the
planned activities and program cost.  We'll strongly favor the
participation of people with some career background in radiation safety or
emergency response in the interest of having a common foundation for the
discussions that happen at ChNPP.  Airline travel to Kiev is NOT part of
our program, and time is of the essence if you want good fares.  I hope we
might have a couple RADSAFE members along with us!

Best regards,
Carl Willis
Albuquerque, New Mexico
+1-505-412-3277