[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Alleged Significant rise in ionising radiation in atmosphere over Southern California

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 09:53:52 CDT 2015

Dear Mike & David:

I'd like to advance one plausible hypothesis regarding elevated levels of
alpha radiation over California:

Some years ago, I had the pleasure of working on the geology / geochemistry
of the Piceance Basin in NW Colorado. As I became more knowledgeable about
the basin, it became apparent that the depositional systems of the oil
shale (keragenous dolomitic marlstone) were strongly influenced by dusts
being blown off the Colorado Plateau, Great Basin and the basins of
California. In fact, much of the fertility of the Colorado Plateau has been
attributed to dusts being entrained in the soil column originating from
California. In the Piceance Basin, the "richness" or Leanness" of the oil
shale zones are postulated to be caused by the changing volume of dust
being blown into the basin and is strongly influences by climate - drier &
wetter conditions - spanning the lifetime of the active basin. The drier
conditions result in larger amounts of deposited dusts and thicker annual
accumulations of oil shale; the wetter conditions provide less suspended
dust and leaner oil shale accumulations.

Fertile soils accumulate plant nutrients such as phosphates and other
micronutrients. In order to grow commercially, California soils are also
heavily artificially augmented with these nutrients. Phosphate fertilizers
contain significant amounts of radium, uranium and other progeny in the
uranium series. During dry periods, these enriched soils deflate in winds &
dry conditions and are aerially suspended as fine particulates. I think
this is why there is such a change in alpha activity since the windblown
dusts are deriving their radiation from phosphate-enriched soils.

This is not unique to the California basins. The Amazon appears to be
sustained by phosphate-bearing dusts blown from Africa.
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100809/full/news.2010.396.html

Best!

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist