[ RadSafe ] LNT Petition Discussion

Miller, Mark L mmiller at sandia.gov
Mon Jun 29 09:49:16 CDT 2015

Bill,
I think that even a cursory review of the basis of our current regulations would lead to the conclusion that they are NOT based on science (isn't that what we're supposed to be about?).  Starting with the many Calabrese articles regarding Dr. Muller's apparent distortion of the facts regarding his research, coupled with the understandable Cold War fear mongering, we got the 5 rem/year standard we been saddled with for the past 60+ years.

Defining the EXACT threshold will always be as elusive as determining how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.  However, there is pretty compelling scientific evidence that nothing quantifiably significant happens below 10 rem/year (HPS Position Statement PS010-2).  While it SEEMS to be a sensible basis for planning, the fact is that it has led to overwhelmingly negative unintended consequences, such as radiophobia and the persistent erroneous myth that "no matter how small the radiation dose, there is an associated risk".

I would agree with you comment about ALARA leading to good work practices (based on my 39 years in the profession), EXCEPT it gets tied to the persistent erroneous myth that "no matter how small the radiation dose, there is an associated risk" (there is NOT).  That leads to radiophobia, and so on.  Good work safety practices stand on their own merits, and management [eventually] understands that they pay dividends.  I believe strongly in things like you mentioned (training on a mock up before the hot work, keeping a nearby contaminated system filled with water while the work is in progress, or sequencing the work logically.  Outages are now much shorter and less costly, as well as lower dose. )  However, these practices don't need to hide behind a nebulous term like ALARA, not does such a nebulous and subjective term have any place in regulations!

In reality, LNT has led to worldwide radiophobia and has likely caused much more harm than the good that was intended.  Go to the NRC website and read/comment on the petitions for yourselves.
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=NRC-2015-0057-0010

Mark